Stone Canyon and Douglas County School District are honored to be the stewards of this historical property. Over the last century, our property has been used for agriculture, a U.S. Postal Service retreat, a Libertarian school, and a rehabilitative program for young boys.
In 1980, the Emily Griffith Boys School took ownership of the property and used it as a rehabilitative facility for delinquent and troubled youth.
In 2011, the Douglas County Commissioners purchased the Emily Griffith Opportunity Center outside of Larkspur, with a vision of entering into a partnership with Douglas County School District to provide students with the opportunity for local outdoor education.
In August of 2012, Douglas County Outdoor Education Center opened its doors for leadership retreats and outdoor education programs. Over the years, they began serving more schools in the district and providing high quality programs that encouraged students to enjoy and appreciate the great outdoors.
On March 24, 2015, our property received a historic designation from the Douglas County Historic Preservation Board. The period of significance is from 1955-1968, the time frame when Robert LeFevre purchased the property and began constructing the buildings to operate the Freedom School. The Freedom School was a full-time graduate school that focused on teaching and spreading the Libertarian philosophy movement. LeFevre worked throughout this life to teach his belief in economic freedom.
In the summer of 2015, we were awarded our first grant through the State Historical Fund. This award allows us to begin renovating the historical structures so they can be utilized and appreciated by our guests and community.
Finally, in August of 2015 the center was renamed Stone Canyon Outdoor EdVentures. The Stone Canyon team is excited to continue building a program and facility that our community can not only be proud of, but be a part of. We hope to see you in the canyon soon!