Summer Trekking Excursion
The Stone Canyon Summer Trekking Excursion is a five day course through the Flat Tops of Colorado for ages 16-18. This course is designed to fuel your sense of adventure, challenge you in exciting new ways, and help you realize the many things you are capable of. Leadership is at the heart of all we do at Stone Canyon Summer Camp. This elevated leadership experience is designed to build upon the leadership skills you already have and to prepare you for the many adventures life has in store. This trip will provide opportunities to put your leadership skills into practice in a beautiful and challenging environment.
For five days the mountains will be our classroom. After a day of prep at Stone Canyon, students will embark on a four-day backcountry trek in the White River National Forest. Students will travel and camp as a group, taking turns acting as leaders of the day and practicing goal setting, decision making, and other skills necessary to achieve personal and group success. Our outdoor classroom will be a catalyst for students to grow as individuals and as leaders. By stepping outside their comfort zone and overcoming new obstacles students will gain confidence, build character and learn invaluable lessons that they can carry with them in their everyday life. Our experienced staff will provide the group with the tools and support they need throughout the experience.
- All three Trekking Excursion staff have a minimum CPR/FA training. Our lead has a Wilderness First Responder certification.
- Stone Canyon has an extensive Emergency Action Plan (EAP) for the trip as required by the United States National Forest Service.
- Our EAP is based off of research and guidelines set forth by the National Outdoor Leadership School and has been adapted for the activities and location of this specific trip.
- The group will be carrying a SPOT tracking and communication device for the duration of the trip which will allow for emergency communication and for Stone Canyon Administration to track our location.
- This trip operates under special use permit for the White River National Forest.
Monday July 17th
Parent Drop off
Teambuilding and trip prep at Stone Canyon
Tuesday July 18th - Thursday July 20th
Backpacking in the White River National Forest
Friday July 21st
Drive back to Stone Canyon & Closing Ceremony
Saturday July 22nd
Breakfast at Stone Canyon
Parent Pick up
Program Lead - Brittany Graham
Brittany has spent over six years working with youth in wilderness-based leadership programs in the Appalachian and Rocky Mountains. Prior to joining Stone Canyon, Brittany spent two years as a backcountry guide in the Bighorn Mountains in Wyoming before she took over as the Program Director. Brittany is a certified Wilderness First Responder and Leave No Trace trainer.
The cost for this 5-day program is $1200.
- All group equipment