Summer backpacking adventure
The Stone Canyon Summer Backpacking Adventure is a six day adventure and leadership course for ages 16-18. This course is designed to fuel your sense of adventure, challenge you in exciting new ways, and help you realize the many things you are capable of. Leadership is at the heart of all we do at Stone Canyon Summer Camp. This elevated leadership experience is designed to build upon the leadership skills you already have and to prepare you for the many adventures life has in store. This trip will provide opportunities to put your leadership skills into practice in a beautiful and challenging environment.
For five days the mountains will be our classroom. After a day of rock climbing and teambuilding at Castlewood Canyon State Park, students will embark on a four-day backcountry trek in the White River National Forest. Students will travel and camp as a group, taking turns acting as leaders of the day and practicing goal setting, decision making, and other skills necessary to achieve personal and group success. Our outdoor classroom will be a catalyst for students to grow as individuals and as leaders. By stepping outside their comfort zone and overcoming new obstacles students will gain confidence, build character and learn invaluable lessons that they can carry with them in their everyday life. Our experienced staff will provide the group with the tools and support they need throughout the experience. The group will end the trip with a dip in beautiful natural hot springs to celebrate their achievements.
- All three Trekking Excursion staff have a minimum CPR/FA training. Our lead has a Wilderness First Responder certification.
- Stone Canyon has an extensive Emergency Action Plan (EAP) for the trip as required by the United States National Forest Service.
- Our EAP is based off of research and guidelines set forth by the National Outdoor Leadership School and has been adapted for the activities and location of this specific trip.
- The group will be carrying a Delorme inReach Explorer for tracking and communication for the duration of the trip. This will allow for emergency communication and for Stone Canyon Administration to track our location.
- This trip operates under special use permit for the White River National Forest.
Monday July 16th
Teambuilding and Climbing at Castlewood Canyon State Park
Tuesday July 17th
Campcraft and Orienteering lessons at Yampa River State Park
Wednesday July 18th - Saturday July 21st
Backpacking in the White River National Forest
Sunday July 22nd
Celebratory hot springs visit
Head back to Stone Canyon
Program Lead - Brittany Graham
Brittany has spent over six years working with youth in wilderness-based leadership programs in the Appalachian and Rocky Mountains. Prior to joining Stone Canyon, Brittany spent two years as a backcountry guide in the Bighorn Mountains in Wyoming before she took over as the Program Director. Brittany is a certified Wilderness First Responder and Leave No Trace trainer.
The cost for this 5-day program is $1200.
- All group equipment
*Stone Canyon Outdoor EdVentures/Summer Camp is an equal opportunity service provider and employer. Stone Canyon Outdoor EdVentures/Summer Camp operates under a special use permit from USDA Forest Service, White River National Forest.*